Re: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:05:15 -0700

On 19/07/12 06:12 AM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>     ken.. how do you suppose to replay them? restoring on host[1-9]
>     would always restore the whole file, not only the changed parts.
>

> Whoops, you are right.  There's no way just to restore the changed
> files.  I spoke too soon.  Duplicity would try to restore all of the
> files, not just the changes, and that would be a lot worse than rsync.

It could do the following, and with relative ease, I think:

--replay

Will only download the new difftars and replay them locally. It can keep
track of changes by comparing .manifest files.

--replay-and-verify

Will also go through all the signature files and verify the local
contents. If something doesn't match, it will restore these files as
necessary.

I may be able to sponsor this feature through the Linux Foundation funds
if someone feels like adding this functionality either into duplicity
proper, or into a separate utility. I believe the world is hurting for
such functionality to be available -- especially considering duplicity's
builtin encryption features and its wide support of multiple backends.

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator