Re: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:20:39 -0700

On 19/07/12 12:07 PM, Mogliii wrote:
> There is also git-annex
> http://git-annex.branchable.com/
>
> It only tracks the hash and location of files in git. The actual files
> are in the file system.
>
> The author of git-annex is currently working on a deamon
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joeyh/git-annex-assistant-like-dropbox-but-with-your-own
>
> Not sure if this helps you in any way

That looks interesting, thanks for pointing it out. However, I'm not
ready to give up on using duplicity for this yet. Duplicity does 90% of
what I need to do -- and I know that it's stable and reliable. (Nor does
it pull in haskell as one of its dependencies. :))

The only part that's missing is using publicly available backup data to
efficiently synchronize multiple mirrors.

I'm working on a summary document that would outline the benefits of
this solution and list what would need to be done to make it work. I
also have confirmation from the Linux Foundation that we can at least
partially sponsor the development of such feature in duplicity --
perhaps by seeding a kickstarter fund (hint-hint, devs).

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator