Re: [Duplicity-talk] Redundancy?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Redundancy?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:06:43 +0200

On 23.05.2013 18:35, Mikołaj Czyż wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any works on adding some form of archive redundancy to duplicity?

nobody's working on it. but it is requested from time to time.

> If I understand correctly one bit-flip can destroy the whole duplicity
> backup, am I right?

no, it "just" obstructs you from restoring files located in incremental volumes
after (by vol number or time) that volume as duplicity will probably break
everytime it tries to decrypt/unpack that volume. there is however a
possibility to ignore errors, where you will have to look into the log output
to find what was restored to which state, and what not.

additionally there is manual reconstruction routine. but essentially, all files
that had incremental data in that volume can only properly be restored until
one backup before the corrupt volume.

concluding, there is generally a need for recovery redundancy but no one
tackled it so far. easiest would probably be utilizing par to checksum all
files of one backup.

..ede/duply.net