Re: [Duplicity-talk] List all the files in the backup

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] List all the files in the backup
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:06:31 +0100

On 19.02.2016 13:57, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is not the actual intention of the program but I would like
> to use duplicity to store data on the remote destination only. That is,
> I would like to upload the data, delete my local copy of the data,
> forget about it, at some point download the data when needed.
>
> The thing is that there are some programs around that allow you to
> encrypt data you store on remote destinations but none of them are
> satisfying e.g., ecryptfs, encfs, and s3ql. ecryptfs doesn't run on
> FreeBSD, encfs has security vulnerabilities, and s3ql doesn't support
> SFTP (and its workaround to use a mounted sshfs doesn't really work).
>
> I have some very cheap SFTP storage available and would like to use it
> as backup for data that I don't frequently use e.g., old photos from
> years ago, movies that I shot etc.
>
> The great advantage of duplicity over all the other solutions around is
> that it saves the data in small chunks and uses gpg for encryption.
> Everything simple and straightforward, that is why I like it. So I
> thought I could use it for cloud storage.
>
> The problem I face is that I do not know how to list all the files that
> are stored on a backup location created with duplicity, especially not
> those that are deleted. There is `duplicity list-current-files` but, as
> the options states, it only lists the current files and not the deleted
> ones.
>
> Is there some way to list all the files of each of the volumes created?
> I found a script that might help to achieve what I am looking for but it
> seems old [1]. And probably someone else has a better solution?
>
> It think it would be great if there where the possibility to list all
> the directories and files of a duplicity backup directory in a `ls`
> manner, like:
>
> dir1/file1
> dir2/file2
> dir3/file3
> dir3/file3 (time: 19-12-2016 13:53)
>
> and so on and so forth. This way the user could just continuously add
> more and more directories and files to the backup dir and restore
> selected once when needed at some later time.
>
> Some time ago I read about the idea to create a fuse filesystem that
> lets the user mount a duplicity backup and restore files from the
> fusefs. That sounds very interesting and might help with what I would
> like to accomplish. Is there any news on this?
>
> [1]: http://askubuntu.com/a/486458/441510
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions,

two comments

1. list-current-files supports the time parameter (see manpage). so you can
list files from older backups also, despite what the command name suggests.

2. the latest about working on a fuse wrapper i heard was 2008
 https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-tracker/2008-04/msg00009.html

..ede/duply.net