Re: [Duplicity-talk] List all the files in the backup

From: Aaron Whitehouse
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] List all the files in the backup
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 12:14:23 +0000

On 20/02/16 11:22, Philip Jocks wrote:
>>> why would you want to? a not readonly backup sounds ominous.
>> I am desperately looking for a solution to use SFTP space as cloud
>> storage securely. As I wrote, this is not exactly the intention of
>> duplicity but I thought I could get it run through a workaround anyway.
> yeah, probably duplicity isn’t the best choice for this. Did you look into
> ownCloud? It (allegedly) supports FTP/SFTP as external storage and it
> (allegedly) supports encrypting the files stored. I don’t know how well it
> does that and if it’s suitable for you.

Yes, it doesn't sound like duplicity is a good fit for what you are
wanting. Have you looked at git-annex:
http://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/
Particularly:
http://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/archival_walkthrough/
? It may be a better fit. By default files are on all devices, but you
can have an "archive" folder (encrypted or not) where things are moved
off to archive locations and only links are stored on non-archive
devices. I've only had a quick play with it myself.

Kind regards,

Aaron