Re: [Duplicity-talk] Moving old sets to cold storage (listing files to b

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Moving old sets to cold storage (listing files to be deleted)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:40:31 +0200

On 14.04.2016 23:52, Ladislav Laska wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using duplicity for some time, but I'm running out of space in my primary
> storage for off-site backup and would like to move old sets to cold storage.
>
> I plan on keeping last two full backups + incrementals (that is 1-2 months of
> backups) on a few places, move the rest on a local drive just in case. I won't
> miss them if the drive dies, and probably never use them, but don't want to
> delete them.
>
> For the remove-* commands, man page states this:
>
> "Note also that --force will be needed to delete the files instead of just
> listing them."
>
> Listing the files is what I want! Unforunately, duplicity does not list the
> files (I have trie 6.x and 7.x with the same result).
>
> Is there any way to list all files that would be removed, so I can move them
> another place? And are those files enough so I can use all the duplicity
> commands in the new location?

hmm, you are actually right. they are not listed, not sure if they ever were or
this is a doc error. can you please file a ticket on launchpad for this?

anyway - sorting out backup chains on the backend is easy, simply have a look!
the files have timespans in their filename.
a chain consists of a full followed by incrementals.
a backup consists of a sig, manifest and volumes if there was data to backup.

moving a complete chain somewhere else does the same as deleting it from the
backend as far as duplicity is concerned.

..ede/duply.net