Re: [eLyXer-users] brackets with \left.

From: Jens Nöckel
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] brackets with \left.
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:54:29 -0800

Hi Alex,
OK - I've checked out the current version and will look at it some more.
In the meantime, here is what the \left. is supposed to be for:

It allows all brackets to be written in pairs of opening and closing type, thus defining an enclosed content. When matching pairs of brackets are used on a single line, there is no problem defining the enclosed content, but there are situations where you want to define an enclosed content while only having a bracket at one end of it. Then you use an invisible bracket, represented by \right. or \left. An important case where this is needed is when the enclosed content spans several lines of (say) an eqnarray. The opening bracket - e.g. \left{ - is on one line, and the closing \right} on another. LaTeX won't be happy unless there is a \right. at the end of the first line and a \left. at the beginning of the last. The reason for using \left{ in the first place (instead of a plain brace "{" ) is to get a bracket whose vertical height is automatically scaled to match the content (possibly modified by an additional phantom height). See section 18.1.4 (Multiline Brackets) in the LyX Help doc Math.lyx.

The current version of elyxer doesn't seem to have any vertical size adjustment of brackets to match, say, enclosed fractions in vertical height. So the \left. and \right. constructs really serve no purpose here, and one could simply throw them away for now.

Cheers,
Jens