Re: [eLyXer-users] brackets with \left.

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] brackets with \left.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:06:20 +0100

Hi Jens,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Jens Nöckel <address@hidden> wrote:
> yes - the \left. and \right. are now ignored. Just for fun I tried a
> different replacement by adding the following in "onefunctions":
> u'\\left.':u'<span class="leftdot"></span>',
> u'\\right.':u'<span class="rightdot"></span>'
> That way, one would still have the invisible brackets marked by unused spans
> in the HTML output, and this could be used for later postprocessing.

Good idea, added to the code (even if the spans do nothing right now).

> I'm not saying this needs to be in elyxer right now - I'm only experimenting
> to see what elyxer lets me do. Perhaps vertical scaling of brackets could be
> simulated by using the display:inline-block; style on a span that encloses
> the bracketed content (I see you already use that for fractions). I guess it
> will require Javascript to get the height of the enclosing box and scale
> brackets before/after that box to match that height. Well, that sounds like a
> lot of work, and in fact more like a case for MathML... but one can dream,
> right?

Using Javascript is an interesting idea, e.g. for brackets (right now
I am not able to scale them using CSS). As to MathML, I am not opposed
to it in the least, but don't know enough about it to do a good
implementation. I will add it to the roadmap in the dev guide for Q2
2010:
  http://www.nongnu.org/elyxer/devguide.html

> As for the tester honors, feel free to count me in. I'll keep using elyxer in
> various different situations in the future.

Done! I will hopefully release 0.39 during the weekend. Please report
any further issues, they are fun to solve!

Thanks,

Alex.