Re: [eLyXer-users] brackets with \left.

From: Jens Nöckel
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] brackets with \left.
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:16:15 -0800

Hi Alex,
yes - the \left. and \right. are now ignored. Just for fun I tried a different
replacement by adding the following in "onefunctions":
u'\\left.':u'<span class="leftdot"></span>',
u'\\right.':u'<span class="rightdot"></span>'
That way, one would still have the invisible brackets marked by unused spans in
the HTML output, and this could be used for later postprocessing. I'm not
saying this needs to be in elyxer right now - I'm only experimenting to see
what elyxer lets me do. Perhaps vertical scaling of brackets could be simulated
by using the display:inline-block; style on a span that encloses the bracketed
content (I see you already use that for fractions). I guess it will require
Javascript to get the height of the enclosing box and scale brackets
before/after that box to match that height. Well, that sounds like a lot of
work, and in fact more like a case for MathML... but one can dream, right?

As for the tester honors, feel free to count me in. I'll keep using elyxer in
various different situations in the future.

Cheers,
Jens

On Dec 15, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Alex Fernandez wrote:

> Hi Jens,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Jens Nöckel <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The current version of elyxer doesn't seem to have any vertical size
>> adjustment of brackets to match, say, enclosed fractions in vertical height.
>> So the \left. and \right. constructs really serve no purpose here, and one
>> could simply throw them away for now.
>
> Good idea. I implemented it, please find attached a prerelease version
> of elyxer.py. If you use it in place of your version, does it do what
> you expect it to do?
>
> By the way, can I add your name to the list at
>  http://www.nongnu.org/elyxer/
> as a tester? I really appreciate the work you people do.
>
> Alex.
> <elyxer.py>

Jens U. Nöckel
Associate Professor