Re: [eLyXer-users] split document: 1st and last page navigation

From: Axel Jacobs
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] split document: 1st and last page navigation
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:18:28 +0000

Dear all,

When using the --splitpart option, the first page (TOC) contains an Up:
link to itself. This is a bit confusing and could be removed, leaving
only Next: on this page.

Maybe the UP: link in the first page should go by default to ".",
so it could send the user to the container directory where the file
resides. And a new command line option (--uplink) could be added
to insert another different url for the up link in the first page.

I think it's OK to disable the up: link in the main page.

There are already a ton of options, many of which probably do not see
much use. I would like to limit them if at all possible. For example,
when we modified the CSS handling code, I reused the option --css to
load a CSS and to be used many times, instead of having --css and
--addcss. I think it is part of my role as maintainer to ask: how many
people will use this option, and is it worth it?

I have been pondering over how I would integrate an Elyxer-generated multi-page document with the rest of my web site. My plan is to turn three PDF into multi-page HTML documents, totalling several dozen pages.

I see each Elyxer document as the equivalent to a PDF -- completely stand-alone. This is irrespective of whether it is a single page document, or a mulit-page one. The links in the navigation bar (prev, up, next) are there to allow for quick navigation WITHIN the document, akin to using the page-up, page-down keys or scroll wheel in a PDF reader. I would not see the navigation bar as a means of integrating the document with other parts of the web site, at least this is not what it is at the moment.

Let's assume a visitor to my site decides that the document is of interest to him, and that he starts reading. After having read through 1. Intro, he might go straight to 2. Some Chapter, only to find himself in 2.3.6 Some Weird SubSubChapter a couple of clicks later. Once he loses interest, then how does he go back to the index page listing all the stuff that is available on my site? He didn't pay attention (nobody told him to) to the Up: link on the first page. Even if he did notice, he would have had to hove the mouse over the link and look at the text in the status bar to realise that this is the only way back to the main site. Even if he had done all this, he'd still need to click Up: Up: Up: Up: to get from 2.3.6 back to the main site. This is clunky at best.

My own conclusion is therefore that, at least for now, one would have to squeeze the Elyxer output into a template that takes care of all the site integration. This template would then have a get-me-out-of-here link, or a more elaborate form of site integration.

Having said all this, José Ramón's suggestion of the --uplink would actually make sense. However, instead of redefining the Up: link on the first page, it could be a little header (or footer) in it's own right, sitting above the page nav header and below the page nav footer of ALL pages. --uplink would require two string args: the visible text, and the url:

--uplink "Go back to documentation index" "../../docs/index.html"

Just my two cents

Axel