Re: [eLyXer-users] Full headers in page navigation

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Full headers in page navigation
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 00:24:47 +0100

Hi all,

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Axel Jacobs <address@hidden> wrote:
>> However I have a question to you all: what would you prefer
>> to be displayed in this case? The navigation header was until now:
>> "Previous: Chapter 5" and now should include the title, but "Previous:
>> Chapter 5: How to Make Friends" has one colon too many. I have played
>> with a few possibilities:
>>   Previous Chapter 5: How to Make Friends
>>   Previous Chapter 5: How to Make Friends
>>   Previous: Chapter 5 How to Make Friends
>>   Previous: Chapter 5, How to Make Friends
>>   Previous: Chapter 5. How to Make Friends
>>   (Previous) Chapter 5: How to Make Friends
>>   [Previous] Chapter 5: How to Make Friends
>>   Previous: How to Make Friends
>> But none is fully convincing. What do you think?

> d) I came across an HTML document that was produced with DocBook. Here is an
> example to add to my state-of-the-art survey from a few days ago:
> http://ds9a.nl/docbook/fancy-css.html
> The navi headers are different at the top and bottom of the page. I am
> referring to the one at the bottom.
> I find this approach interesting for its good looks as well as for its
> consistency. Observe how it line-wraps with increased font sizes. I even
> like the way that the actual titles are not hyperlinked, only the labels:
> Prev, Up, Home (could be Index or TOC?), and Next. Direct-link to the index
> is quite a handy thing to have, too. Coding-wise this uses a table, which is
> bit ugly, though.
>
> To summarise: d) would be my preferred option.

Let me show you how I solved this particular issue. I took several
hints from the survey that Axel presented, and your comments, and the
final result is:
  Prev Part I: The Making
where only the "Prev" is hyperlinked. Note the em-space between the
link "Prev" and the part name "Part I: The Making" (which in the
absence of toclabels would be just "I. The Making"). The whole header
looks like this now:
  Prev Part I: The Making                Up Part I: The Making
       Chapter 2: Nomenclature Next
Note the inconsistency between "Prev" and "Up", which show the link at
the left, and "Next" which is at the right. As you can see it is a
combination of the DocBook header with the existing headers.

This solution looks elegant and concise, but it probably depends on
taste. Of course I am open to suggestions. What do you think? It is in
git.

Alex.