Re: Towards a cleaner build

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:07:04 -0400

> OK, in the toplevel lisp directory there's now only four warnings.
>
> In toplevel form:
> isearchb.el:80:1:Warning: Package iswitchb is obsolete!
>
> But as far as I can tell, the entire point of the isearchb package is to
> interact with isiwtchb, so should this also be obsolete?

It is currently built on top of iswitchb and offers a way to "fallback"
to iswitchb, but it could/should be rewritten not to rely on iswitchb.

> This one I'm not sure what the status is with: It's an obsolete
> variable, but it seems unsure how it should be replaced here,

Right, it should be replaced by obsoleting the `pcomplete` command (not
the package).

> In pcomplete/tar:
> pcmpl-gnu.el:162:47:Warning: `pcomplete-suffix-list' is an obsolete variable
>     (as of 24.1).
>
> I'm not sure whether suppressing this warning is the right thing,
> either...

Agreed.

> And the final two Eli was pondering what to do with, so I'll just leave
> them as warnings for further pondering.
>
> In gui-get-selection:
> select.el:316:23:Warning: `string-to-multibyte' is an obsolete function (as of
>     26.1); use `decode-coding-string'.

I think, just as for string-to-unibyte, we likely should un-obsolete
string-to-multibyte.
Arguably, here we could just return the unibyte string without passing
it through string-to-multibyte, tho.

> In xselect--encode-string:
> select.el:482:24:Warning: `string-make-unibyte' is an obsolete function (as of
>     26.1); use `encode-coding-string'.

This one should be string-to-unibyte.

        Stefan