Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:53:18 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:22:02 +0200
>
> Unless I'm reading the makefile wrong, there's no target there to say
> "remove all compiler artefacts and then recompile"?
>
> There's bootstrap-clean and extraclean, but if you run those, "make" no
> longer works and you have to use "sh autogen.sh; ./configure"
> manually...  (And if you run bootstrap-clean/extraclean in the wrong
> order, you're left with a lot of non-cleaned-up files, so it's rather
> confusing.)
>
> Would it be an idea to have a target like "full-bootstrap" that does
> these things for you in the correct order?

The top-level Makefile.in documents what each of these targets does,
so "make extraclean" is supposed to be it.  If it falls short, we
should fix it.

I see no problem with the need to run autogen.sh and the configure
script: this target is supposed to get you into the state identical to
a fresh checkout, so you do have to start with autogen.sh.