Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 22:19:05 +0200

> Still, it should be possible to use "git clean -fdx" (or perhaps -fdX)
> if we detect we're in a git checkout and git's available, and default
> to target-jumping around the makefiles otherwise.

A sort of "make git-checkout-clean" or something...

In the past, some of the most difficult build error situations to get
out of have been the result of rearranging some build code, and then the
new code choking on some build artefacts from the previous setups.

The Makefiles in these cases didn't know about these old build
artefacts, so they didn't delete them.

In that case, a git-based "blow out" target would help.

Of course, a different solution would be to have the "extraclean" bits
of the makefile still know about these old artefacts...  But then it's a
question of how many years should we still do an "rm -f some-dir" on
something that's not there.  I guess we could mark these bits with,
like, "OBSOLETE DIR SINCE 23.2".