Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:43:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Let's fix "make extraclean" so that it does everything that is needed
> to get you to the same state as after a fresh checkout/clone.  That's
> what that target is for.
>
> Can you tell what it fails to do that requires to run autogen.sh?

OK, there were more failure modes here than I was aware of...

make extraclean bootstrap

just plain fails, ending with

rm -f config-tmp-*
rm -f ./*~ \#*
make -C src bootstrap-clean
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/src'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'bootstrap-clean'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/src'
Makefile:891: recipe for target 'src_bootstrap-clean' failed
make: *** [src_bootstrap-clean] Error 2

make extraclean; make bootstrap

does not fail, but extraclean does not remove the .elc files, and
whatever it does also stops "make bootstrap" from removing the .elc
files, which is rather surprising.

Running the autogen.sh; ./configure in between these two makes enables
bootstrap to delete the .elc files.