Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:59:27 +0200

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Exactly my point - that should not happen. The .elc files should go in
>>> <builddir>/lisp and not in the source tree.
>>
>> I argued about this point on the past to no avail. Some hackers here
>> find this feature convenient for their workflow.
>
> It does have an advantage when I build for Windows, for example. I have
> to build twice (i686, x86_64), so I do out of source builds. But
> byte-compilation happens only once.
>
> I guess the reason for it is that the source distribution, actually
> includes the (non-source) elc files. The same is true for configure
> which is also generated in source.

The reason for this practice was explained to me time ago and it is
related to your case (two or more out-of-tree builds, reuse .elc)

Emacs falsely pretends to support out-of-tree builds. Having an option
for the frankenbuild is fine, even if it defaults to on, but doing it
inconditionally is not, moreover when you can't rely on the build system
to do the right thing when a .el or somesuch changes (hence the need for
`make bootstrap' or "git -fdx" after pulling or while bisecting).