Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:49:48 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The reason for this practice was explained to me time ago and it is
>> related to your case (two or more out-of-tree builds, reuse .elc)
>
> No, the reason for this is that it was designed for the case where you
> build from a tarball rather than from a Git clone (AFAIK it was
> designed before I wrote the "bootstrap" code which made it possible to build
> Emacs without having all the .elc files pre-built, i.e. before we
> started using CVS).

Perhaps removing the *elc files from the source distribution needs to be
considered, given that it's possible to do without and that most peoples
machines have got faster. The build would be slower clearly; a quick try
suggests twice the time.

2min after make distclean
4min 30 after make distclean; find . -name "*elc" -delete

Or alternatively, 2 minutes more.

Phil