Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 12:18:40 -0400

> The reason for this practice was explained to me time ago and it is
> related to your case (two or more out-of-tree builds, reuse .elc)

No, the reason for this is that it was designed for the case where you
build from a tarball rather than from a Git clone (AFAIK it was
designed before I wrote the "bootstrap" code which made it possible to build
Emacs without having all the .elc files pre-built, i.e. before we
started using CVS).

        Stefan