Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 18:35:43 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The reason for this practice was explained to me time ago and it is
>> related to your case (two or more out-of-tree builds, reuse .elc)
>
> No, the reason for this is that it was designed for the case where you
> build from a tarball rather than from a Git clone (AFAIK it was
> designed before I wrote the "bootstrap" code which made it possible to build
> Emacs without having all the .elc files pre-built, i.e. before we
> started using CVS).

I asked to move those .elc files to the build directory and some hackers
explained why doing that would inconvenience them. The reason why it was
implemented is unknown to me, but IIRC support for out-of-tree builds
are a relatively recent development in Emacs, much more modern than the
transition to CVS. So the .elc files were on the source directory from
the beginning because there was no possibility for an out-of-tree build.