Re: Prickliness of the "invalid byte code" stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Prickliness of the "invalid byte code" stuff
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 19:08:37 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 15:48:30 -0400
>
> >> A `grep byte-compile-dynamic: **/*.el` seems to indicate it's currently
> >> used in 12 files bundled with Emacs.
> > Any idea why those 12 use it?
>
> I think in the 20th century, the performance difference could be
> measured (at least in benchmarks, tho maybe also in actual use), but
> I seriously doubt it makes a noticeable difference on machines of this
> century (not sure if it's because of changes in hardware such as
> available RAM or CPU speed, or because the growth of the rest of
> Emacs dwarfs those effects, or what).

I understand, but I was curious why these 12 files do use the
variable, while all the rest don't.  IOW, what is (or was) so special
about these files?

I think I'd like to wait with the decision until we hear the
emacsspeak results.  I expect that the effect on the memory will be
minor, even in a package _all_ of whose files use this variable.  If
that is indeed so, I think we can disable the variable.