Re: Settings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Settings
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:20:51 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 19:13:30 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>   > IOW if Emacs just loads ~/.emacs.d/custom.el before ~/.emacs.d/emacs.el
>   > some things will break, and same thing if it swaps the order.
>
> I wonder if we can do something more intelligent about this.
> For instance, can we figure out that certain variables need to be set early
> and others late?

What is "early" and what is "late" depends on the order of user
customizations in .emacs, which is entirely out of our control, and
can be almost arbitrary.

We introduced the early-init file in Emacs 27 to let users themselves
control which customizations are done early and which later, because
some customizations should be in place before we read .emacs.