Re: search-invisible and friends

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: search-invisible and friends
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:03:06 -0400

>> Ah, yeah, that sounds quite useful and natural.  We could even have a
>> standard property like `no-search' that could be part of the default
>> `search-invisible' value, so that modes can easily mark out regions that
>> shouldn't be searched for.  In which case, the whole `display' thing
>> becomes moot -- in my mode, I could just slap the `no-search' property
>> on all the image display bits that I want isearch to avoid?
> Yes, those were my thoughts.

It'd be good to have such a `no-search` property, but I think it's also
important to make the `search-invisible` automatically handle text
that's hidden by a `display` property, without having to add an explicit
`no-search`.

OTOH, maybe there could be unusual circumstances where it would make
sense to consider hidden text as "visible" (e.g. if the `display`
property replaces the text with something that looks very much like the
same text, tho maybe rendered a bit differently).  So, maybe there
should be a value of `no-search` (or some other property) which says
"please do consider this text as visible even tho it's technically
hidden".

        Stefan