Re: search-invisible and friends

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: search-invisible and friends
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 13:46:10 +0200

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> The ‘display’ property can replace buffer text with a different string
> or an image for purposes of display. Maybe it makes sense to have a
> property that can similarly specify a different string for purposes of
> search? A property that can replace buffer text with a different
> string or a waveform for purposes of text-to-speech?

Oh, that's smart and even more general.  Yes, I like it.

> A mode that replaces one word with another could decide which aspects
> (display, search and/or text-to-speech) it wants to affect and how.

Yup.

If the new text property is, say, `search', we could also have
special values like `ignore' to say that there is no alternative
(search) text, and `display', which means that if it's a textual
replacing display property, then isearch should use that text as the
search.

Like

(propertize "foo" 'display "bar" 'search 'display)

Or perhaps that's too complicated.