Re: search-invisible and friends

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: search-invisible and friends
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:29:08 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  Eli Zaretskii
>  <eliz@gnu.org>,  Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 13:46:10 +0200
>
> Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The ‘display’ property can replace buffer text with a different string
> > or an image for purposes of display. Maybe it makes sense to have a
> > property that can similarly specify a different string for purposes of
> > search? A property that can replace buffer text with a different
> > string or a waveform for purposes of text-to-speech?
>
> Oh, that's smart and even more general.  Yes, I like it.
>
> > A mode that replaces one word with another could decide which aspects
> > (display, search and/or text-to-speech) it wants to affect and how.
>
> Yup.

My main problem with this proposal is that it places the onus on the
Lisp program which generates the text with display and other
properties, instead of giving control to the search command.  That
would mean that existing Lisp programs that use these properties will
not support these features of searching.