Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 20:40:11 +0200

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 15:17:54 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org,
        monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, ghe@sdf.org, tecosaur@gmail.com

>If F10 is intercepted, perhaps we should also bind the command to
>another key?  That's a simple and backward-compatible change.

I have discussed this with Stefan already and there are some small
backward compatible changes we can do here because usually F10 is
intercepted by gnome, toggle guake, gnome-terminal menu or tmux before
arriving to emacs.

Some of the (non exclusive) options are:

1) Bind it also to another key

This is what I had in mind.

Of course, this is the first to do in any case. Do you have any binding
in mind?

2) Show the binding somewhere (in the same bar or modeline) when
xterm-mouse-mode is disabled.

I don't see how xterm-mouse-mode is relevant: we are not talking about
the mouse, and TTY menus work without a mouse as well.

Ex: in gnome-terminal (which captures the F10) and with xterm-mouse-mode
disabled it is almost impossible to access the menu (unless throw
M-x but then the user can type the commands without needing the
menubar).

So it is there basically stilling space because there is no way to
access it.

3) Underline the letter in the menus that "opens" each menu from the
keyboard (as some Windows applications do)

How will that help?

With a disabled xterm-mouse-mode a first timer user doesn't know how to
open the menu-bar, even its name. It will be specially useful to give
some hints.

Menubar is specially useful for beginners; lets say the fist step to
start doing the basics. Being inaccessible gives the same experience
than a first time user trying to exit vim.

4) Enable xterm-mouse-mode by default in more situations as most of the
popular terminal emulators are xterm compatible (gnome-term, xterm,
konsole, rxvt, guake, terminator)

Again, xterm-mouse-mode is an orthogonal issue.

I know. This were general points we mentioned about why some people
found useless the menubar and used to remove it.