Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:08:32 +0200

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 06:29:18AM -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
  >   Actually spacemacs made it to look a bit more modern by just changing
  >   some colors.
  >
  >What kind of changes to colors was that?  It would be good to quantify
  >what "modern" means.

  In general this is very subjective. But looking at WinXP vs Win10 one
  gets more or less where the style feeling is moving to. Specially the
  colors and the default fonts in the interfaces make a big difference;
  but also the whole integration.

Could you list those changes?

1) The "included" themes (not only the default one) are a bit more
"attractive" and similar to the ones in VSCode, Sublime or Android
Studio:

https://themegallery.robdor.com/

2) In the windows side they just made the whole colors a bit more
"coherent" with the internal themes,

2.1) the menu-bar is usually more "compact" with a smaller and bold font
(OR hided OR enabled xterm-mouse-mode because otherwise the toolbar is
pretty much useless as F10 is intercepted by most of the terminal
emulators or desktop environments).

2.2) In the case where they keep the tool-bar the icons are smaller and
more "attractive". Lets say sometimes independent of the theme, but in
general smaller.

3) Finally they fully redesigned the mode-line. I don't like all the
changes they did because they require many extra external packages that
increase too much the loading time and I prefer to load my emacs in less
than 1 sec. But form the aestetic point of view it is an important
change.

Changing the font to another default,
or some minor tweaks to the default color theme sounds like very low
hanging fruit that shouldn't be to difficult of a change to get
through.

I know some of these modifications are dependent of time. So they will
be updated because preferences changes on time. But in general giving a
set of full coherent themes with icons/colors/fonts is everything we need.