Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Caio Henrique
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:48:36 -0300

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:

> It appears that in Emacs we have the extra trouble of menu-bar-mode
> being one of the first things people disable

Yeah, I started using Emacs ~11 months ago. Disabling the menu-bar was
the first thing that I did. I learned how to use Emacs watching these video
tutorials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zkte37UOnA and on the first 5
minutes he teaches how to disable the menu-bar to make Emacs look more
modern.

As a beginner I loved these video tutorials. He has short videos
that teaches how to install and configure use-package, which-key, then
he shows how to change themes and fonts, then he gives an introduction
to org-mode and teaches how to create a literate emacs configuration
file, then he continues teaching how to install and configure
ido-vertical, avy, rainbow-mode etc...

Because of these video tutorials I never bothered trying Doom or
Spacemacs, I just started creating my own configuration on
vanilla. Besides not using the menu-bar, I also never looked the Emacs
tutorial or the Emacs Guided Tour.