Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:40:49 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 02:34:47 +0700
> Cc: Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com>,
>  Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>,
>  TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 01:44, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > > By CUA, Show/Hide should be a top-level menu named View.
> >
> > Really?  Even for setting persistent preferences?
> > I can imagine using `View' for changing something
> > for the time being, but not necessarily for
> > setting preferences (persistent configuration).
>
> Yes. In many applications, View is the place to go if you want to
> toggle any optional UI parts (toolbars, sidebars, sometimes menu bar).
> These toggles are usually persisted immediately.
>
> It would be nice if the CUA specification was available somewhere on
> the Web.

It doesn't really matter, because whatever any specification says, we
don't blindly follow it, we treat such specifications as
recommendations, and fit them to what we think is best for Emacs and
the GNU Project.

(Needless to say, when the current menu arrangement was discussed, we
took into considerations user expectations and what other applications
do with their menus.)