Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 17:33:28 -0400

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

>>> - Tried to execute a command interactively (forget which command)
>>>   + Typed M-x
>>>   + Wait, this is just a text box
>>>   + I don't know commands off by heart!
>>>   + I want to be able to type key terms and see options!
>>
>> How much of this would be satisfied by icomplete-mode together with the
>> `substring` completion-style (which would be a smaller change to
>> the UI than something like helm-M-x or counsel-M-x).
>
> I'm frankly not sure. Just trying icomplete now for the first time the
> horizontal display of options seems a bit odd to my sensibilities.

FWIW and for those that might not know, this is how
counsel-M-x looks for me:

The short description and the keybindings are quite useful.
Even after 30 years of using emacs, there are so many new
packages and features I'm always learning more, and these
help a lot.

I get similar displays using describe-function,
describe-variable, etc.

--

Howard