Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:52:45 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Does anyone want to _make_ videos for Emacs?
>
> It is no use discussing what sort of videos we
> would like if nobody wants to make them.
> Let's stick to ideas we can implement.
I am not the one, but looking at Youtube/Vimeo there are people who like
to make those; some people have series of videos. Maybe if you raised
question/call in "social media platforms" and proposed the content for
"episodes" maybe some people would take a provided "scenario" and turn
it into a video? Another solution is maybe to raise community funding
and pay some pro to make the desired content? But I think the first one
is more realistic :-).

By the way, I don't think the video content has to be done as real video
with a person talking in microfon and all that. It is common in some
graphical and 3d packages to have short "feature videos" where they
highlight some specific, or new, feature which is essentially just
someone clicking in gui and doing something basic just to showe where
the feature is and how it works. I think those are usually just scripted
and recorded as gif/png images and turned into some flv/mpg video or
similar. This kind of video can be done by anyone who knows how to use a
feature and if I am not wrong there is a screencast recorder for Emacs
already (requires external software).

Maybe video is not important at all since Emacs can be scripted; maybe
it is possible to script (macro) a "video" in Elisp; so when a demo is
called it would replay the gui/lisp actions like a macro?