Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 14:55:56 +0000

Someone who can’t spare more than three minutes to research a tool that they may end up using for a life time for the majority of their workday is IMHO not a kind of user we should strive to support.

I think that's dangerously close to saying "Emacs was hard to make, so it should be hard to use".

Well, that’s one way to read it. Another way, which is what I intend, is that Emacs is a power tool, and some learning curve is inevitable no matter how easy we make certain things. And overcoming that requires some effort.

There are many text editors, most of them are power tools too (not as much as Emacs of course, but this is something a new user cannot know or evaluate). Other text editors do not have a learning curve to do simple operations like cut, copy and paste, or to choose a color theme. I don't think it's a good thing if the first message you send to a new user is "you will suffer" (or "abandon all hope, ye who enter here"). The purpose of the current discussion is only to do something to give them a feeling of curiosity instead of a feeling of fear.