Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 18:10:18 +0300

On 2020-09-12 17:55 +03, Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org> wrote:
>  I don't think it's a good thing if the first message you send to a
> new user is "you will suffer" (or "abandon all hope, ye who enter
> here").

I don’t get why you equate ‘effort’ with ‘suffering’.  That’s a reductio
ad absurdum, and pretty far off from "this thing here is something
that’ll pay you back with great rewards once you decide to invest some
time into learning it".

>  The purpose of the current discussion is only to do something to give
> them a feeling of curiosity instead of a feeling of fear.

Which is not something I disagree with.  All I’m saying is that a user
who has no interest in Emacs should not be how we’re designing for.
Because that limits what you can achieve.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427