Re: A modern-mode?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:09:18 +0100

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> loop: opinionated "custom-themes" (or whatever we end up
> naming that) informing the Emacs core about whatever tech
> or concepts are necessary to keep the whole ship together.

Right.  New features often come with a component of infrastruture and
component of user code that relies on it.

>> I think reasonably solutions with a lot of value and relatively
>> little code are often in front of our eyes. Such was the case
>> with icomplete being a good basis for fido-mode, which seems
>> good enough that people are even recommending it. I'm
>> almost always wary of giants or grand reinventions of things.
>> For the "base" Emacs experience that is, in their setups people
>> can use all the ivys, dooms, helms and magits they want.
> this kind of discussions seem necessary and fruitful.

Emacs has always had this "problem" which is brought about by the huge
flexibility that Elisp affords.  But those kitchen-sink developments
don't always integrate cleanly into Emacs for various reasons (from
legal to technical).

Custom themes can be used to tweak aspects _already_ in Emacs, and doing
the latter would make long strides towards newcomer-friendliness, I
think (and I also think we've all kind of agreed on that, bringing us to
the "defaults" argument").

Anyway, my impression is that, custom themes don't seem to be used
effectively, except to customize colors.  Maybe they're not powerful
enough?  They do seem to have features that are extremely desirable
here, such as ease of distribution, ease of composition and
human-readability (for non-programmers).

João