Re: A modern-mode?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:40:53 +0200

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

>                          I just meant the "custom-themes"
> infrastructure should be enough to accommodate enough of
> the proposed "modern-mode".  Not sure if it is (as I don't use it).
No, it is not. It lacks unified framework to use as logicla names for
color use; someting similar to what you have in <h1>, <h2>, ... <h8> in
html, just as example. Instead people use rgb values directly in their
packages, and when user changes a theme, packages does not follow. So
theme engine in Emacs needs a little additional work.

>  I'm
> almost always wary of giants or grand reinventions of things.
> For the "base" Emacs experience that is, in their setups people
> can use all the ivys, dooms, helms and magits they want.
I understand your sentiment, but then, you could say this for any
feature, inclusive fido-mode or icomplete or even find-file.

Just as an illustration one could argue that "simpler" open-file as
found in other software packages is what "casual" users would expext.
Personally I would like to see ffap being enabled as default ...