Re: A modern-mode?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:30:18 +0100

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:20 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:54:43AM +0100, João Távora wrote:

[...]

> Good point: these are opinionated things by nature, so they
> should be named as themes are, somewhat freely according
> to the vision of their authors. This also reveals that the
> thing shouldn't be called a "mode" at all. It should be done
> with custom-themes and if that proves a limitation, then
> custom-themes have to be improved, maybe even reinvented.

We can set up our own giant feedback loops, too :-)

Not sure what you mean, I just meant the "custom-themes"
infrastructure should be enough to accommodate enough of
the proposed "modern-mode".  Not sure if it is (as I don't use it).

I think reasonably solutions with a lot of value and relatively
little code are often in front of our eyes. Such was the case
with icomplete being a good basis for fido-mode, which seems
good enough that people are even recommending it. I'm
almost always wary of giants or grand reinventions of things.
For the "base" Emacs experience that is, in their setups people
can use all the ivys, dooms, helms and magits they want.

João