Re: toggle-light-dark-mode

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: toggle-light-dark-mode
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 23:14:09 +0300

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> [2020-09-16, 22:31 +0300]:

>> Maybe this could also be an optional alternative behavior that you can
>> enable with a boolean variable? toggle-light-dark-theme-use-reverse-video
>>
>> I like your suggestions and I can see that they appeal to other users,
>> but personally I also wouldn't use reverse video (I like using
>> kaolin-galaxy as my dark theme and modus-operandi for my light theme).
>>
>> Or we could also do the inverse: use the behavior of your code by
>> default and make mine optional.  :)
>
> Actually my point was that the default Emacs faces support both modes:
> dark and light, so you can use the same default theme in different modes,
> just by toggling frame-background-mode.  This is implemented by using
> '(background dark)' and '(background light)' in defface definitions.
>
> I wonder why other themes don't support both modes?  For example, why there
> is separate light tango-theme and tango-dark-theme, but not one tango-theme
> supporting dark and light modes?  And why separate light modus-operandi-theme
> and dark modus-vivendi-theme, but not one modus-theme with both modes?

Indeed, defface already provides the means to account for different
display specs.

Concerning the Modus themes' question, I simply did not know any better
~1 year ago when I started the project.  The tango themes where my point
of reference.  Also, and if my memory serves me well, the command
customize-create-theme did not account for light/dark variants.

Going forward, it may be preferable to follow your suggestion.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
protesilaos.com