Re: toggle-light-dark-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: toggle-light-dark-mode
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:59:22 -0400

>> I wonder why other themes don't support both modes?  For example, why there
>> is separate light tango-theme and tango-dark-theme, but not one tango-theme
>> supporting dark and light modes?  And why separate light modus-operandi-theme
>> and dark modus-vivendi-theme, but not one modus-theme with both modes?
> Indeed, defface already provides the means to account for different
> display specs.
[...]
> Going forward, it may be preferable to follow your suggestion.

Yes and no: I'm not sure the end users will really care for a two-step
choice of theme where they first need to choose a theme and then
figure out how on earth to switch from the dark version to the light or
vice-versa.

The background-mode feature of face-specs is very useful for the default
face settings to work well regardless of the choice of
foreground/background for the `default` face and that's important when
that face's default is inherited from external settings (like Gtk or
Xresources).

But in the case of modus-themes, the default face's color is chosen by
the theme, so it doesn't make much sense to say "if the default face
looks like this, do one thing otherwise do another" since we already
know what the default face looks like.

        Stefan