Re: toggle-light-dark-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: toggle-light-dark-mode
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 23:32:03 +0300

>> Actually my point was that the default Emacs faces support both modes:
>> dark and light, so you can use the same default theme in different modes,
>> just by toggling frame-background-mode.  This is implemented by using
>> '(background dark)' and '(background light)' in defface definitions.
>>
>> I wonder why other themes don't support both modes?  For example, why there
>> is separate light tango-theme and tango-dark-theme, but not one tango-theme
>> supporting dark and light modes?  And why separate light modus-operandi-theme
>> and dark modus-vivendi-theme, but not one modus-theme with both modes?
>
> Indeed, defface already provides the means to account for different
> display specs.
>
> Concerning the Modus themes' question, I simply did not know any better
> ~1 year ago when I started the project.  The tango themes where my point
> of reference.  Also, and if my memory serves me well, the command
> customize-create-theme did not account for light/dark variants.

But maybe there is some reason for having separate light and dark themes?
Maybe for users it's not easy to toggle light/dark mode in the same theme?
For example, when a user selects a theme while in the light mode, and wants
to activate its dark mode.  It seems there is no simple command to do that.