Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 22:14:07 -0400

> It is not "magical".  It is information we want users to know,
> so we show it to them.

I fully agree with it when it comes to the product being under
a copyleft license, but I do not understand why we particularly want
people to know it is distributed with "absolutely no warranty".

AFAIK all the software I've ever seen came with "absolutely no
warranty".  That applies to proprietary software just as much as
Free Software.  So what do we have to gain by promoting this
"characteristic" of Emacs?

> Part of the reason we want them to know it is legal.

That's a part of the argument I do not understand and would like to
see developed.

> Part of it is to soread awareness of the FSF and the GNU GPL.

And what does "absolutely no warranty" have to do with the FSF and
the GPL?

        Stefan