Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:36:36 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > If FSF's legal counsel says that this magical phrase has to be on the
>   > Emacs splash screen...  then perhaps it's time for the FSF to get new
>   > legal counsel?
>
> It is not "magical".  It is information we want users to know,
> so we show it to them.
>
> Part of the reason we want them to know it is legal.  Part of it
> is to soread awareness of the FSF and the GNU GPL.  This is important.

So shouting a long sentence about "NO WARRANTY" towards all users is not
something the FSF's legal counsel has insisted upon?  Then I retract my
snarky statement about them.

This does not explain why you want this magical, nonsensical phrase to
appear on the Emacs splash screen, though.  How does the phrase lead to
awareness about the FSF and the GNU GPL?

> So we will keep this information in the splash screen.

That's very autocratic of you, I'm sure.