Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 13:10:34 +0300

        emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

> > Whether we should show it or not is a separate question, but let's not
> > muddy the waters by creating tangents that don't add anything useful
> > to this discussion.
>
> I don't agree that it's a tangent. Emacs shows it "first thing you
> see", in all caps. Other software require either clicking one's way to
> the EULA, or requesting this info with --version.

Some software does what you describe.  Others display the EULA
_first_, and won't even let you see the real program's display until
and unless you click on "agree".  (Still others are even nastier: they
show in small print, or momentarily display, something to the effect
that "by using this you agree to ...".)

> And software which display it outside of a terminal tend to follow
> standard typographical practices when doing so. (Yes, bold is also
> discouraged as a marker of emphasis, but it is very commonly used for
> that purpose.)

I see all-caps in GUI applications as well.

> If the topic is to be brought to the FSF's counsel again, why not
> request updated advice on all aspects of the issue?

Sure, why not?  But let's not maintain the position that Emacs is the
odd one out here; it's not.