Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 13:50:11 +0300

> From: Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:34:44 +0200
> Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
>       "Nicolas P. Rougier" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr>, emacs-devel
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Of course, I agree that we should not take non-free software's example
> seriously.

I don't think this distinction is relevant when talking about legal
issues.  The GPL is not a revolt against the copyright laws, it uses
those laws to the benefit of the Free Software.  Therefore, relevant
legal practices, even if used by non-free software, are not to be
dismissed so easily.

> > I see all-caps in GUI applications as well.
>
> Assuming that you mean free software, do you have examples?

Any program that shows the MIT license will display that part in
all-caps.  (And, as I wrote above, I don't think whether the software
is free or not is important here.)

> A lot of the discussion so far has been whether it is worth it to ask
> the FSF's counsel for updated advice, valid in the ecosystem and legal
> environment of 2020.

I never said I'm against asking their counsel.  Please don't treat
factual corrections of part of what you say to mean that I reject
_everything_ that you say.  Agreement doesn't have to be total; that's
a common fallacy ("you are either with us or against us") in this
divided world nowadays.

> If we deny the fact that several major free software organizations
> have chosen to display the warranty disclaimer only in their EULA

I didn't deny that, so your arguments should be directed at someone
else.