Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:42:23 +0300

> From: Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 10:54:28 +0200
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
>  "Nicolas P. Rougier" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr>,
>  emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Le dim. 27 sept. 2020 à 04:46, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> a écrit :
> >   > Open any other (non-GNU) program, free or non-free, and nobody will be
> >   > shouting at you ABOUT THERE BEING NO WARRANTY.
> >
> > Displaying text on the screen is not shouting.  I see you have strong
> > feelings about those words on the screen, but I don't see any real
> > problem in them.  No real reason to remove them.
>
> Displaying text in all capitals is commonly understood as shouting.
> According to Wikipedia, this association dates at least back to 1856.

Every software license and EULA text I've ever seen, including the
ones I've read a few days ago, always shows the "DISCLAIMER OF
WARRANTY" part in all-caps.  So this seems to be common practice, and
Emacs is not different here from any other software.

Whether we should show it or not is a separate question, but let's not
muddy the waters by creating tangents that don't add anything useful
to this discussion.