Re: tooltip feature

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tooltip feature
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 13:05:45 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 11:42:04 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, jamtlu@gmail.com, Jean Louis <bugs@rcdrun.com>
>
> Considering a tool-tip is just a small pop-up frame you could have it
> with a character in a tooltip corner which could act as a "sticky
> button" to press with mouse, and there could be a keyboard shortcut user
> can press when a tooltip have a focus.

Sounds complicated (and I'm not sure it will be possible when we use
GTK tooltips, which is the default in the GTK builds).

Emacs is already capable of redirecting the tooltip text to the echo
area (to see that, disable tooltip-mode), so it should be easy to
provide some command or variable, which, when activated, would copy
the tooltip text to some specialized buffer, where it could be later
read by the user.

Would you like to propose a patch along these lines?

> Such a "button" could be also added to context menus to make them
> "sticky" and persistent on the screen.

For menus, most Emacs configurations use the toolkit.  Do the toolkits
we use offer capabilities to make the menus "sticky"?

> Another version is to have a tiny separator say in tooltip
> bottom/top that can be pressed with mouse to "tear of" the tooltip
> and make it persistent on the screen.

AFAIK, you generally cannot click on tooltips, because they disappear
when you do so.