Re: bug archiving policy

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: bug archiving policy
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 03:23:50 -0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Although the org-mode maintainers do read emacs-devel and bug-gnu-emacs
>>> with some frequency, most subscribers are not org-mode experts.
>>>
>>> I would therefore recommend sending org-mode patches directly to the
>>> org-mode mailing list: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org.  This makes sure it is
>>> seen by the competent and helpful org-mode hackers.  In most cases, I
>>> don't think there is any need to also open a bug against Emacs.
>>
>> Your comments were points of discussion in the org-mode thread that I
>> referenced. See there, but in part, that list requires one to first
>> subscribe and become a member in order to post to the list, which is a

I believe you can post there without subscribing.  I have done so
successfully in the past.

>> barrier to entry for bug reporters not committed to be developers or
>> insiders, and the method is inconsistent with other parts of emacs-core
>> and thus unexpected for users. The thread also addressed issues of
>> maintainabilty, bug-tracking, and other useful and constructive
>> comments. Do see there.
>
> I agree we should remove this barrier, thanks for insisting on this.

I couldn't agree more.  I think we are just waiting for Someone (TM) to
get their hands dirty and start looking into bug trackers.  There have
been several discussions in the last year or so about this on
emacs-devel, which is probably the best starting point for such work.