Re: bug archiving policy

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: bug archiving policy
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 13:18:46 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> [2020-12-06 12:54]:
> (Cc to Bastien.)
>
> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > At this point, I'm still primarily asking for the specific bug to be
> > unarchived so the update can be posted, but I also want to bring the
> > particular incident to the members of this list for review, and also to
> > bring to attention of the members of this list the constructive comments
> > that eventually ensued in the prior discussion thread[2].
>
> Although the org-mode maintainers do read emacs-devel and bug-gnu-emacs
> with some frequency, most subscribers are not org-mode experts.
>
> I would therefore recommend sending org-mode patches directly to the
> org-mode mailing list: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org.  This makes sure it is
> seen by the competent and helpful org-mode hackers.  In most cases, I
> don't think there is any need to also open a bug against Emacs.

There is main Emacs bug tracking system and such shall accept
logically bugs that also relate to Org mode. To avoid
misunderstandings for people reading advises, it is maybe more useful
to say "while Org mode is part of Emacs there is also separate Org bug
tracking mailing list" and then to advise users there in gentle
manner. This is because not everybody can find that information
easily and maintainers will say that maybe Org is not part of Emacs
while it is part of Emacs thus confusing mostly new users.

We better not say: "This is not Emacs bug", rather "Org related bugs
are better handled on Org mailing list" like you said it already.