Re: bug archiving policy

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: bug archiving policy
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 17:30:59 +0100

Hi Michael,

>>> Also we can ask debbugs to forward all `org`-tagged bug info to the
>>> orgmode mailing-list.
>>
>> Yes, I would welcome this move too.
>
> I have added org-mode now as first class citizen to debbugs.gnu.org, see
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/Packages.html>. Could you pls send some test
> data (aka test bugs) in order to check that it works as expected?

Thanks a lot, but I'm not sure I fully understand the consequences and
whether this corresponds to what was suggested in this thread.  (And I
don't want to waste your time.)

I don't want debbug to become the central place for tracking Org bugs.
It is a secondary place for tracking a subset of Emacs bugs for those
who use M-x report-emacs-bugs -- mostly users who use the Org version
that comes bundled with Emacs.

The preferred way for submitting Org bugs is org-submit-bug-report and
confirmed bugs are tracked on https://updates.orgmode.org.

What I'm strongly supporting is

1) A way to get debbugs bugs autotagged with "org-mode" when
   report-emacs-bug detects (perhaps by asking interactively), that
   the user wants to report a bug about org-mode.

2) A way to have all debbug bugs tagged as "org-mode" forwarded to the
   emacs-orgmode@gnu.org mailing list.

> I have also used emacs-orgmode@gnu.org as maintainer address. This must
> not be wrong, but if you have another preference ...

>From what I understand, your move solves (2) but not (1).  Correct?

If your change does not imply that debbug becomes the central place
for tracking Org bugs while solving (2), I'm fine.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien