Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 15:48:01 +0100

> For most major modes, it's hard to find a justification for a toolbar,
> and for some major modes, OTOH, it's a no-brainer (e.g. mpc.el).
> But I don't think we've done a good job of making use of the toolbar for
> the middle ground.

True, there are modes where the toolbar may be useful, and a media
player might be one of them.  And prev/next/reload in a browser may be
something people might use.  But there aren't a lot of these modes, and
you may as well put the buttons in the mode line, which is already
there, and which nobody much disables.

If you compare the Emacs mode line with a modern "tool bar" (for
instance, the Crome line at the top), they're not that different.