Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 20:03:54 +0100

> Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: "Lars Ingebrigtsen" <larsi@gnus.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
>
> * Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2020-12-15 17:42]:
> > For most major modes, it's hard to find a justification for a toolbar,
> > and for some major modes, OTOH, it's a no-brainer (e.g. mpc.el).
> > But I don't think we've done a good job of making use of the toolbar for
> > the middle ground.
>
> For your insights and considerations1, personally toolbar is definitely
> great when working with the mouse and interacting with other
> applications. Especially when trying to work with one hand it is
> great. For staff members who need to save files or open new notes
> quickly it is great. Even more icons would be great to have, there is
> so much more space. Tool bars make Emacs user friendly for majority of
> new users as people are used to using mouse.

Absolutely.  The argument is not about using the keyboard or using the mouse.
In regards to strain injury, there are two important aspects:

1. Not stretch fingers
2. Not move wrist

In addition, if the user normally uses keyboard, it makes sense that
he continues using the keyboard, rather than having to switch to the
mouse.  This is largely agreed among programmers.

The problem started when programmers starting demanding for Emacs
to focus only on the keyboard.

For those who primarily use the mouse, they should continue to use
the mouse for most things where the user could use the mouse.

As regards development, Emacs could have minor-modes for the
following categarisations:

1. Mainly using the Keyboard
2. Mainly using the Mouse
3. Mainly using Querty
4. Mainly using Dvorak

Furthermore, most people disregard Accessibility.  For instance, KMouseTool
clicks the mouse
whenever the mouse cursor pauses briefly. It was designed to help those with
repetitive strain
injuries, for whom pressing buttons hurts. KMouseTool also eliminates the pain
caused by clicking
the mouse, helping many people to use the computer without pain.

And to work with the mouse makes menu-bar a definite requirement - no arguments
there.