Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 22:27:07 +0200

> From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 15:53:59 -0400
>
> I'm surprised that the intersection of these two sets is non-empty:
>
> a) Users who would know enough to look for and set such an option.
>
> b) Users who would be confused by what happens after they switch away from a
> y-or-n-p minibuffer in mid-question.

They are confused because they don't expect to see what happens in
that case.  Imagine someone who can easily press a wrong key for some
reason -- with the new implementation, instead of Emacs showing an
error message and the user staying right where he or she was, he or
she now find themselves in some situation they need to think how to
get out of.

> (And, though I know some disagree, I don't think there's much cost to adding
> little options like this.  Emacs already has a zillion of them, so targeted
> reading and discovery are the strategy everyone already uses to find them
> anyway, which means adding a new one does not increase the complexity of
> Emacs in a problematic way IMHO.)

What would you suggest instead?